Friday, July 27, 2007

Official Checks.

I have one- from my bank- made out for a large amount of money- to my old boss.

Tomorrow at 8am- D and I will pick up a cargo van and drive four hours to where my old boss now lives- and be done with this whole thing.

By which I mean we'll both sign a contract- I'll give her money- and she'll give me a great deal of property (hence the cargo can).


The check isn't for the largest amount of money I've ever held in one hand- but it certainly is the largest amount of money I've given over without some certain guarantee of equitable exchange.

While almost half of these funds are for concrete assets worth a certain amount of money- the other half is for things much less easily accounted. What is the value of a name- a web address- a design- a way of doing things- a reputation???

While I'm certain I've calculated its value, to me, accurately- I'm still exchanging certain money for uncertain certainties in my head.

I'm certain I can effectively run this business. I'm certain I have ideas that will grow it. That I can find others who will work with me- to do the things I can't all do myself. And that the less obvious assets that I'm buying can be put to uses, by me, the products of which will far exceed the value of what I'm paying.

But those certainties in my head- are still, in the larger world- certainly uncertainties.



I've now certainly used the derivatives of "certain" far too many times.

All I need to do now is sign my name and initial where indicated.

3 comments:

andy said...

Cheers to taking a leap and following a dream. it is indeed scary, but I have faith in you.
A toast to passion.

Meredith said...

I'll toast to Passion-

with the bottle of sparkling we just opened after having arrived back from Yuma :)

Now what's the traditional beverage in Haiti that's used for toasts???

Designs By Leigha said...

WOO-HOO!!!