Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Reverse.

Selma has a leak.

Well, several leaks, actually. But only one that's causing my starting problem right now (I think).

Unfortunately, unlike the other ones, I can't put a piece of paper underneath her and see where from and what is leaking. Partially because what is leaking is Pressure- and I'm not sure what color that is.

Partially because nothing is actually leaking out. It's leaking In.

In my engine- low pressure is created which causes a pressure vacuum, this vacuum gets used to power multiple things, including fuel injection, the power brakes and the ignition mechanism.

Often- when you have a vacuum leak- you can't get the engine to shut off. This is common with old diesels. Gas engines have spark plugs which continually go off to ignite the fuel/air in the engine- but diesels use the pressure in the engine to ignite the air and fuel combination. So a diesel engine doesn't need continued electricity to continue running, to get it to stop you have to physically cut off the flow of diesel to the engine.

When you have a vacuum leak you can turn the key to off, but since you no longer have the full power of the pressure vacuum, it's not enough to stop the fuel flow and the car just keeps on running.


Obviously- I have a slightly different problem- but at least I'm pretty sure it's the vacuum system.
I'm looking for a diagram for my specific model and then I'll go through testing all the various parts of it until I find where the leak is.


There will also be several side benefits of this- including fixing my breaks (I currently have to use extreme force on my breaks as the Vacuum Assist is not initiating properly) and starting to deal with the three power windows that don't work- it's getting warmer out- I need all my windows down until I figure out what's up with the A/C... a large chunk of which (the servo) is no longer even connected to the car.


Now off to Welding.

1 comment:

Designs By Leigha said...

I am so impressed. You rock!