Saturday, January 31, 2009

Decisions.

I'm unemployed, sort of. And I'm trying to think long term, think stratergerically, ya know?

And law school is a potentially appealing prospect, but I run into several problems, not the least of which is that law schools want recommendations. I don't have recommendations. Like, I really don't.

I have one professor from the Community College I went to, that I know would write me a good rec... I don't have a single professor from the college I graduated from whom I'm confident wouldn't put in a few things I'd rather not be said.

I had a love/hate relationship with both my bosses in Arizona, my couple bosses before that knew me for less than a year, my boss before that no longer works at the restaurant we were mutually employed by, and I have no way of getting a hold of her. The one boss who knew me the longest and would write a great rec, if, ya know, law schools actually wanted to hear about how well I wait tables, I haven't seen since I was 18...

the local University wants three recommendations. Three. One general and at least two academic (or if you've been out of school for awhile, they can be professional). They also make you wait two years before you can apply, if you're already done one year of law school somewhere else, which I think is kind of Bitchy... I mean really, what is that. They are So not worth waiting two years for! They also don't have a part-time program, I sort of think the law school takes themselves a little too seriously...

I checked - Harvard lets you transfer immediately, AND they only require two recommendations, what's up with that??? I wouldn't even Really want to go to The Local University, they're just the school that's within a 10 minute biking distance, so I can't really ignore them... except their application process is more restrictive than HARVARD'S!!! Excuse me???

Really, I was looking at The Local Law School because I was thinking, I should get into whatever school I can, and then after a year, use Recs from those profs and good grades to get into the school I'd really want to go to (D would be done with his social work thing by then too)... cause I surely couldn't get into any highly desirable school now, the only thing I have going for me is my LSAT, I don't have a good GPA and I have maybe one recommendation, so what's a girl to do???


I'm looking at secretarial stuff, oh, excuse me, "Administrative Assistant", there are possiblities at law firms, an accounting firm and an engineering firm... I turn 25 this summer and I should have been getting jobs like these three years ago, then again, we were living out of our car three years ago, but then I'd have some professional recs...

details.

P.S. D's going to say "I told you so" and I'm going to hate him for it.

2 comments:

Kurt said...

I stumbled over to your blog from Dave's (I'm putting off doing homework once again). It sounds like you're facing almost exactly the same situation my girlfriend Maggie is up against. Her solution was to do a one-year stint with AmeriCorps VISTA. She's now working with the BLM in southern Colorado. If nothing else, she'll be able to get some great recommendations from the many people she's working with. You can find something that'll help you out more in the long run than "Administrative Assistant" work...I'm sure you can.

Designs By Leigha said...

How exciting, frustrating, but exciting :)