Thursday, May 22, 2008

Quotes.

From the University of Montana's website. (The university accepted it's first students in the fall of 1895).


"I hiked around town, the air sweet and dry, and was sort of overwhelmed by the perfection of it -- the old courthouse, the train depot, Mount [Jumbo] and Mount Sentinel rising up, the neon bars, the funky festivity of a college town ...."

-- Garrison Keillor


There are 3.1 million acres of wilderness within a 100-mile radius of campus.



"I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it."

--John Steinbeck, "Travels with Charley"



"John Updike once called Missoula the Paris of the Nineties, because of the city’s legendary population of writers, but Paris lacks three world-renowned trout rivers and proximity to Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks."

--Outside Magazine



"Missoula -- it’s Montana, but it has feng shui and herbal tea."

-- Garrison Keillor, in the Missoulian




"Missoula ruins so many careers. People visit, and then throw everything away just so they can stay."

--Best-selling author James Lee Burke, in Men’s Journal



"Montana is the only state with a triple divide allowing water to flow into the Pacific, Atlantic and Hudson Bay. This phenomenon occurs at Triple Divide Peak in Glacier National Park."

–- 50states.com



"No. 11 small place for business and careers."
--Forbes Magazine, about Missoula

"No. 2 among small cities."
--Inc. Magazine, about Missoula in "Top 25 Places For Doing Business in America"

(Sounds good...)

3 comments:

Ed said...

I have NO idea why my brain leaped to the conclusion that Garrison attended college in MT from reading you opening lines, I have no idea whatsoever...it is one of those mysterious brain synapse connections/disconnections I have no control over and frustrate me quite often.

Everyone knows he went to the University of Minnesota.

Good day -

Ed

Ed said...

So my original post got over-written? or something...? And I obsess over these things so I must respond AGAIN!

Forget the Keillor thing!

I read "Travels With Charley" when I was like 10 or 11. I must revisit that book.

Magazines that shout "Best LITTLE town...blah, blah" annoy me a lot! They are a menace!

So maybe we'll visit, and ruin our careers, eh...?

Ed

Meredith said...

Too funny. Don't worry, I disregard most of what you say anyway...

the # Whatever town for Whatever, stuff annoys me too, I just thought it was funny, cause I'm going to try to get in-state tuition for D's second year by claiming that my business's presence represents our desire to be permanent state residents, and that we're not just there for D's schoolin'.

Oh - and another good Keillor Quote -

"The residents of Missoula are so literate, the have bumper stickers that say 'I brake for creative nonfiction'."

All I have to say it - Come visit us to ruin your careers, stay for the skiing :)