Saturday, March 24, 2007

Fleeting perfection.

So- not to be outdone by the Illustrious Dave (except in pursuits requiring physical prowess), and attempting to type expediently with only one hand, due to holding a tasty ice cream bar in the other... I present My Fleet-





Consisting of Selma Lee, M'Lady, and last and certainly least, My God.

Here's a better picture of M'Lady-





(that bright pink bit around her head tube, being her 2005 Ragbrai bike band), you also can't see very well that her tires have pale blue sidewalls... and my pedal cages have pale blue straps that I got for 50 cents at a bike shop booth along the Ragbrai route. She's also a six speed.

Back when Dave was still running a whole compliment of gears, I told him I only wanted one chain ring (I had eight or nine gears for Ragbrai, I can't quite remember). Note her singular down tube shifter. Then he later realized the genius of fewer gears and runs single, or two/three speeds now... yes, that's right, Dave's just copying me.



My God is the single speed mountain bike in the back. She's named that, because more prayers cross my lips in one hour on her, then in a month of regular living. She's currently non-operational, as my bike mechanic (Dave again) over extended his privileges and pilfered several crucial pieces for use on his monstrosities... and then didn't tell me... details.

Anyway. I think Selma Lee would look particularly adorable with a roof rack... but Yakima's "Fit Your Car" feature doesn't go back to '77... to be honest, Selma Lee's model uses the same chassis up through '85, so I could actually find a roof rack based on that year... but I don't really have any need to drive the bikes anywhere... regardless of how Awe-some she would look.


Maybe I'll go do some actual work on her, instead of writing about it...

2 comments:

FixieDave said...

Nice Fleet!

You gotta get My God back together very soon!

Meredith said...

Tell my bike mechanic to get me some chain ring bolts- and I will...