Saturday, March 24, 2007

Revelations.

I've been pulling things out of Suiby... like her battery and the wires that connect the battery to the car.

I've also been cleaning things. That is why I pull them out- I pull them out- clean them- and I'm pretty sure tomorrow sometime I'll put them back in.

Santa and Simple Green- what more does a girl need???

A tooth brush and various other thin bristly cleaners, that's what. I have the equivolent of a pipe cleaner on crack. And I'm using it to clean Suiby's hood locking mechanism... which takes a bit of... umm... Force- to get to latch correctly. I'm hoping I can get it to close without the use of cruel and unusual treatment.


I also attempted to wash the windows. You would think right- that it's not a big deal to take some Windex and wipe down the insides... not my windows.

Really now- they looked like someone misted them with olive oil... or maybe used Selma's front seat as the base for a deep fat fryer... and when I sprayed on the Windex and went to wipe, it created suds on my window, as if I was using Dish Detergent instead of Windex... I'm going to finish up that project in the morning- as my arms got tired about half way through.


So- as I've been cleaning around my engine compartment- I've been making some delightful discoveries- this is what my battery was hiding-




Yeah- that's flaky, rusty, fun. There's a few leaves there on the side... if you're looking Suiby in the eyes, this is in the back, left side, under the hood- here's a photo for placement.


It's a shelf that the battery sits on. The mildly rusty round thing to the right is the air filter- it's actually in pretty good condition, but the flash in the photo accentuates the bit of surface rust it has. Obviously this battery-shelf rust hasn't been causing any problems... I'm just not sure what to do with it now... leave it??? Clean it up a bit??? Try to take it out and find a replacement shelf to position the battery on???

I'll look at it more in the morning.

2 comments:

Chris said...

How much metal is left on the battery shelf? You could remove it, sandblast it and POR15 it?

Meredith said...

Most of it feels pretty damn solid. I used some Liquid Wrench on the rusted up bolts and am going to try to remove it tomorrow.

Thanks.