Monday, March 26, 2007

Yesterday.


This was my view as I tried to find the fuel tank plug.





This was what I used to siphon the fuel out of the tank... that is a little pump so I didn't have to start the suction by drinking fuel. That is also several parts of a coat hanger attached to the siphon hose with green electrical tape, as the hose wasn't stiff enough to be forced all the way into the tank on it's own.




Those little bits of brown particulate in the hose are algae. The first suction drew a little bit of algae into the hose, but the rest of the 8 gallons of diesel flowed out clear. When it stopped, I manually increased suction to dredge out the bottom of the tank as best I could... I let that drain into an empty juice jug- below is what came out.



You can see the almost blue color at the top is pretty clear fuel, then there's the tan layer of diluted algae sludge... and the really dark brown color at the bottom is pretty much solid algae particulate. This is a gallon sized juice container, mind you, that's a pretty fair amount of sludge... we'll see how much is still stuck in the tank later...

I cringe thinking my poor baby Selma had that... that... Eww!!! inside her!!!



Then it got dark and I stopped working... I'm going to try to get the tank entirely out today and clean out whatever bits of sludge are still in the bottom of it.


Fun times.

1 comment:

Enel said...

Germans always used metric.

The tubes the hoses are connected to will have a lip inside them that you need to get the hose over.

This can be difficult. If the hose is dry rotted, sometimes they will break with removal.

The big problem with cars of that era is rotten rubber seals all over the place.

Good work on the blog, photos are very good.