Monday, March 26, 2007

Trouble.

I'm having issues removing the fuel tank air vent hoses. I can't get the tank out until I get them off.

They've obviously experienced some suburb dry rot... they also have this weird pliable rubber material surrounding where they come out of the fuel tank. I can't find any pictures/diagrams of what's suppose to be going on up there... but something is wrong- because the screws in the hose clamps, as well as the outside of the hoses were covered in stuff that immediately started flaking off as I unscrewed them... they were coated... why would anyone coat hoses/clamps in anything??? Non-the-less this weird semi-permanent looking stuff that's now flaking off.

There was obviously something done intentionally here and I have no idea what or why... regardless of that... the clamps are loosened to wear they spin freely around the hoses, but the hoses still won't slide off the pipes. Various persuasive techniques have been employed and I will reattempt in the morning, in the mean time- here are the two troublesome hoses.




Here is their positioning in the grander scheme of the undercarriage. They're in that black void on the right, upperish side of the picture.



Just for fun- here is the screen that fuel must pass through on it's way out of the tank and along to the engine.



Here's that screen as it should look.



And last but not least in this post of pictures... I was using Metric wrenches on Selma, and someone pointed out that I might want to check that... maybe, just maybe the Germans were using Standard measurements in the 70's... don't ask me.

Well- while pulling the lining of the trunk out to access the fuel tank, I found this wrench, lost in a corner of the trunk for who knows how many years now... it says "Mercedes-Benz Made in Germany" on it- and is sized 11 and 13mm. So- I think I can officially make a positive Metric determination.


No comments: