Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I thought.

This shouldn't have been an overly complicated packing experience... I thought my TSA compliance would be less complicated than normal - as I wasn't bringing a laptop. Until I started packing and realized there were a lot of other random things I was bringing that were potentially suspicious... that I had no idea how to handle...

I prefer to do all Carry-on, but I don't want to be without my knife, so I have to Check at least one bag.
I don't want to have a Checked bag, plus a big Carry-on, in addition to my purse, so that makes my Checked bag my primary bag - but I want to make sure that if something goes wrong with my Checked bag I still have all the Absolute Must Haves that couldn't easily be replaced in Des Moines, with me...

then - apparently you can take lighters in Carry-ons, but NOT Checked - so I put my first-aid kit into my Carry-on, till I realized there were other fire-starting mechanism in it that might not be allowed... and I'm not sure what they'll make of me bringing the large battery that goes with my headlamp in my Carry-on. Is a large battery suspicious??? They say batteries that are within other electronics are allowed, but does Attached qualify as "within"???


Seems odd when I have to put my make-up in my Checked and my lighter in my Carry-on... but whatever...

I just wish the TSA website covered more specific items.

I'm glad I shipped my bike ahead of time - at least I know it's safe and sound.

1 comment:

Jill Homer said...

Good luck out there!