Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Yeah - Peaches is still here.

I was thinking maybe I should post something about the titular subject of this blog. And what a good time to do so - as my phone and fax calls to Georgia in just the first two days of this week have increased about 10 fold over the last two months...

go figure - that means stuff is actually getting done...

So here's the line up -

Frank had SL
Bank Repossessed SL
Small used car dealer got SL
Tim bought SL
Repair Shop got SL
I bought SL

Going backward, I got my bill of sale notarized from the Repair Shop. Contacted Tim - who sent me a notarized bill of sale from himself to the Repair Shop. Couldn't find any information, at all, about the Small used car dealer, or the individual who signed for the car on behalf of the used car dealer - so I skipped that step - and, six months after first contact, the bank finally faxed me a copy of the Affidavit of Repossession (and are sending me an official copy in the mail).

I was hoping the paperwork from the bank would have an address for the car dealership (as the one scribbled on the back of the title I have is not entirely legible). Tim lived in a different town as the Dealership and didn't know anything about getting a hold of them.

However - I decided to take a small leap. There was a towing company located in the same town that was owned by someone with the same last name on the person who owned the car dealership... well - when a car gets repossessed, someone has to get it right??? And the car dealership picked up the car on the 15th of April, 2005 and handed it over to someone else on the 16th of April - so it seemed like maybe they were just a mediary - and a towing company seemed like a pretty good candidate for that. Plus - it's a small town in Georgia - they share the same name - if they weren't directly involved they might be able to tell me who I could contact.

The call was placed.

Turns out the gentleman who's name is on the back of my car title passed away in 2005 - which is why I couldn't find any contact information on him or his business.

The way I know this is because I talked to one of his grandsons who owns the towing company - and has offered to do a little research and get back to me with what he can find!!!

So I felt bad - bringing up his granddad and making him go dig through his papers - but he offered and there's no other way to get this resolved. It took me a minute to reassure him that there wasn't some big problem or legal issue - the car title wasn't actually in his grandfather's name and they had no liability or responsibility, legally... just that the person who got the car from the dealership never retitled the car when they should have and this is all a big formality.

But - this is the one last step - and the young man sounded resigned but determined to get it all straightened out.


With the exception of the bank - everyone else in Georgia has been wonderfully helpful - if not always expedient :)

Selma Lee's excited she might get to leave the driveway sometime soon - but I told her not to jinx us - so she's holding her hope till I hear back from The Grandson.

No comments: