Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Official Announcement.

Excuse me, ahem, ahem -

I'm officially announcing my choice of tomato varieties for what will go down in history (hopefully a long and successful history) as my first serious year of tomato growing!

You may all remember I amused myself by planting some tomato seeds in, like, June of last year, in Arizona... then attempted to move them all up Here in August and then knowingly watched them wilt, right when they were starting to flower, as it was, like, October, and freezing...

I'm starting things off properly this year, which means ordering seeds early (considering our last frost is in mid-May, I don't really need to start seedlings till the end of March) - and I've ordered them, and they're arrived, and they are as follows!

The Beaverlodge Slicer! - a smaller, red, early tomato bred in Canada

Black Cherry Tomatoes! - Tiny little multi-colored numbers

The Bloody Butcher! - Another small, red, early tomato, noted as good for canning, and producing well all the way to the first frost

Bigger, bader and from Siberia, we have The Black Prince! One of my longer to ripen varieties at 70 days (still considered earlier for those that have more than 110 frost free days... losers)

With the oddest name, there's Belii Naliv! Another early one, praised for being Sweet and Tangy (what does that even mean???)

Cosmonaut Volkov! From the Ukraine, the longest to ripen at 72 days, but up to 2 pounds a piece

The last one I ordered is Zhefen Short! From Zhengjiang, good for patios, always important

But that's not actually the last, they also sent me a packet of seeds on the house - may I present

Super Snow White! Just like Ping Pong balls, I think that's a good thing...Super Snow White Tomato
now I just have to wait a month and find a sunny place for them all in our wee yard once they sprout :) I think I'm going to try for five plants of each variety, I'll keep you updated.


P.S. Yes Kelly, all you are is People to me, many many people, think about that!
P.P.S. Maybe if you're nice I'll name a tomato plant after you.

No comments: