Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Saucy

I've made enchiladas twice now, in the last two weeks. Once for D, once for some of our friends, before us ladies went to the Blue Mountain Clinic's annual fashion show/fund raiser - Off The Rack!

The first time I used a can of diced tomatoes and a couple scoops of salsa D had in the fridge, since I didn't have some of D's flavorful Salsa to steal the second time, I used a can of Diced Tomatoes (w/green chilies already in them), half a can of garbanzo beans and half a can of corn, plus some Sriracha, as much as you need there... probably more than I use...
pulverize it in the food processor (below is the bendy bowl D's sister sent for his birthday, most recently you'll have seen it being used as a hat on D's blog... let's not talk about it)...
then I add it to a pan on the stove where I've dissolved a few tablespoons of corn starch into some water, mix it all together and wait for it to warm up, then dunk lightly toasted tortillas in it, both sides, before added the filling and rolling them up in a pan, and yes, rolling up tortillas that are covered in sauce is really messy, it helps if you have one person to dunk and another to roll (or don't mind if every utensil in the kitchen ends up sticky).
the sauce is a little chunky but that's alright. After all the tortillas are rolled (and I make six with this quantity of sauce), you add whatever extra shredded cheese you have to the top of the rolled enchiladas, and pore the rest of the sauce over them, before baking them for 23 and one half minutes.

No photos of them out of the oven, as I got distracted by the people who were over :) I'd recommend serving them with fresh cilantro and some Spanish Rice (but you'll have to ask D for that recipe).

2 comments:

Designs By Leigha said...

saucy :)

Kelly said...

"the people that were over"? is that all i am to you?!