Tuesday, December 11, 2007

.2 Ounces.

Well - I'm back from the oral surgeon and low and behold I still have my teeth.

They're sitting on a paper towel in front of me. I asked to keep them... though I'm not sure whether or not I'll put them under my pillow for the tooth fairy.

First off - teeth are really cool. And I love the sound they make when they knock against each other, or the table top - like the sound of a stone marble. What's not so cool is I keep tipping my head down to look at them, dripping blood infused saliva on the table... maybe I shouldn't have admitted that...

I was about to take a picture of my blood coated front teeth - looked pretty gruesome, but I thought I'd spare you that... primarily because I wouldn't have been able to avoid including some other part of my face in the picture - and most of you know the vehemence with which I avoid cameras.

Second off - (and the reason I asked to keep my teeth) I now weigh .2 ounces less. I asked the oral surgeon during my previous consultation and he couldn't tell me how much a tooth weighed - so I put one on the shipping scale... which didn't get me very far. Then I put all three on the scale and it grudgingly acknowledge a mere .2 ounces worth of tooth.


Third - he speculated that one of the reasons it was particularly difficult to remove my teeth last time, was that two of the three have three roots instead of two, which are easier to deal with (and let's admit it - these three roots aren't all grouped together in a polite cone shape, they're all ever so slightly flared, for maximum grip). One of them even has this thin, stubby tentacle of a fourth root. And while I know it made things slightly more difficult, I still want to applaud my teeth for their valiant effort at staying in place to do their job. I'm sorry little teeth, I didn't want to pull you, you made me!!!

I wish our camera took better macro shots - cause this little forth root is just adorable!!!

5 comments:

FixieDave said...

Ummmm this is quite the odd post..

And I think I have a weak tummy for teeth stories.....

Meredith said...

Sorry!!! Not trying to make anyone nauseous... though that is what I am right now (I think it's the antibiotics on an empty stomach)... wait - sharing that probably wasn't a good idea either!!!

Enel said...

Which teeth did you lose?

Any may I ask why?

Enel said...

ps:

I liked the post. I imagine they do make nice noises.

Meredith said...

Three wisdom teeth - both lower and top left, (the top right is what the above post refers to, which came out several years ago).

They came out cause one of them was causing me some serious pain - the other two were almost fully grown in, but apparently weren't doing me much good - so they thought they should go, too.

Because they were already up, it was more like a regular tooth pulling then the usual heinous trauma of getting your wisdom teeth cut out of your gums preemptively, like some people get to enjoy.