Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Very Nervous.


So - last week I went to the dentist due to some pain I was experiencing. Turns out I have a few wisdom teeth they'd like to get out of the way (one which is hurting, the other two cause they think it'll be fun)... which, as D determined two years ago when I had the first one removed, is a good thing (as you drop weight without losing muscle... at the time he told me it meant I had to hike faster, now I think it means I need to cycle faster :)

And mother - that's a joke - he doesn't actually expect me to get faster because I lost a couple of ounces worth of tooth - don't let dad worry it's another sign of coercion!!!


Anyway - today was going to be one, next Monday the two on the other side - so after some other confusion at the dentist's which left we waiting for over an hour through no fault of my own (I received a telephone call from my dentist's office asking me where I was, when I was sitting in their own waiting room... yeah - good times), they eventually had some difficultly getting my mouth appropriately numb.

I presume because of the confusion, I didn't have the dentist I saw before doing the actual extraction. I had this other guy... let's just say I'm not so fond of this Other Guy... he was not very sympathetic when I continued to feel pain despite some parts of my mouth already being numb... I tried to explain that the last two times I'd had dental work done they'd had to do several injections before everywhere became appropriately numb - he didn't seem to like being told things he thought he knew better than me...

in the end - he gave up and referred me to an oral surgeon. On the little card I'm suppose to give to the surgeon's office is a note that includes "very nervous". I am apparently one of those dental patients that is "very nervous" - despite the fact that I never felt Very Nervous and have previously had a tooth removed with no problem - I only wanted him to know about my previous experience... you'd think he'd appreciate my input. Apparently he took it to mean I was a bit hyped up and paranoid... seems to me I have a right to be when the local anesthesia doesn't actually block my pain!!!

This is the notecard - some of it got cut off when I scanned it - but i underlined the "very nervous" part...



He also just left me sitting there without explaining why I was being sent to an oral surgeon, what it meant, what he wanted done - or how it would effect the extraction of my other two wisdom teeth next week, which I would think is sort of an important consideration.

Details.


I think I'm more upset about being labeled Very Nervous than the fact that right now the right side of my mouth is both half numbed and in pain, at the same time.

Good job Dentist!!!

(I made sure Monday's appointment is with my Original Guy who is far superior in my mind to Other Guy.)

1 comment:

Enel said...

LOL!!

Like Elaine when she gets labeled a "difficult" patient and it follows here around.

Sorry for the bad experience. Incompetence at customer service is not limited to the food industry apparently.