Friday, December 14, 2007

Training.

I'd sort of been giving myself a hard time about not training this week. I know I'd been instructed not to, but I've been feeling good, and worrying that I was using The Teeth as an excuse (during the busy holiday season when I have bags to get out the door, and other concerns to occupy my time) to not make training a priority and fit it in, somewhere.

Then I went to work at the restaurant tonight.

I don't work weekends (being Friday and Saturday night), when I was hired they were explicitly off limits, so I'd never have to worry about weekend trips (which is a bit odd in the service industry, not working weekends). However, we're a small place, we have eight servers, total, not on each shift. And since I was going to be in town this weekend anyway - I thought I ought to pick up the shift for a fellow coworker who's family was going to be in town. Especially considering I was literally the Only person who wasn't already working, and therefore the Only way he could have the night off.

We were busy - but not that busy. I'm not one of those servers that runs around with their head cut off. I'm good. I glide about the room with a genial and competent air bringing contented appeasement to all the guests who grace my section.

But apparently even my gliding was a bit too strenuous (perhaps it was the jaw and muscle stress of all those gracious smiles and lighthearted laughs at my customer's bad jokes), by the end of the night there was a significant throbbing sensation in all pertinent places - and I realized, even if everything seemed fine, there was a real and valid reason why I wasn't suppose to be working out this week.


I guess I'll give it a few more days.

No comments: