Saturday, March 15, 2008

Jj and my Mother.



Jj keeps trying to scare me with references to Iowa wind (which averages around 12 mph in April) - to which I respond, I spent 21 years in Iowa, the Iowa wind and I are buddies, chums, like This...

at least that's what I tell myself in the deep dark of night.


What looms as a larger specter in my mind's eye right now is TransIowa v.2... ya'll remember - the year no one finished.

This years huge snow dumps alternated with odd warm weather has not only swollen Iowa's rivers but also played havoc with her gravel roads. My Mother reports Iowa counties in a fit over where they'll find the money to re-gravel their roads... which means - regardless of the weather immediately preceding that weekend the roads are starting out in less than ideal condition - and if things don't shape up fast we could be in for a patented Iowa April SnowStorm.

They don't only happen in Colorado.

April in Iowa can range from 90 degrees to 15 degrees, plus that wind... plus more days with precipitation than without... well, almost.

Anyway - what worries me most right now are those roads. Riding 300+ miles of gravel and dirt roads is one thing... riding 300+ miles of mud bog is... well... messy.

And if I remember correctly, Iowa mud just does not exfoliate - think of my skin!!!

4 comments:

JenyJo said...

woman, you are a badass ! i mean it....

i didn't mean to try and scare you. i was in awe, really....

i'm really hoping for the best for you: best road conditions, best physical condition, best mental and emotional conditions...... i hope it's an awesome experience, and i cannot wait to hear about it.

think you'll swing by Golden/Evergreen on yer way home?!?!? ;-)

jj

Matt said...

Don't worry about the mud at all. The way to look at is that it's not a partial nusiance...it's either not an issue or it is. The year no one finished was because it was entirely impassable...if that happens, just roll with it and try again next year. Just make sure to have good clothing for the moisture though....being prepared for the hellstorm is the best thing you can and do and not worry about finishing. I did a couple of doubles like that in full on rainstorms and with the preps I just kept on going because I never got in a life threatening scenario.

Meredith said...

I'm not Really worried about the mud... I figure I'm not as fast as the fastest - so anything that slows them down can only be good for me - right???

Joking.

If it's super muddy I'll just change my outlook from Race to Full Body Mud Bath Spa Treatment.

Sounds like fun to me.

FixieDave said...

if its like ti2 I'll pedal for 20 then find a bar....

If there's any water I'll be rocking 32c tires for way lotsa tire clearance!

Also a cheap PVC pancho

=)

So can't wait