Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Under and Out.

The title of this post is my new cycling mantra - for the moment. After evaluating my knee and cycling behavior this past Saturday, there will be a few adjustments to training, PomPom, and my behavior... the new behavior equation D has encouraged -

Under 40 = Out

Last night at the gym I was switching the display so I couldn't see my RPMs, then riding for a minute and trying to guess what I was at - then checking... hoping I'll get better at feeling what my cadence is at any moment. I think for the immediate, I'll probably adopt something closer to - Under 50 RPMs = tushy out of the saddle. I'm not particularly strong standing, and need to pay extra training attention to my arms and back... especially as I still don't intend to have a full compliment of gears for TransIowa.


In the meantime - yesterday night at The Wine Bar, one of my customers asked a question about the seemingly low level of sales tax added at the bottom of his bill - when I asked the owner, she explained that tax was already built into the price of the wine, therefore the sales tax shown was just on the food, and naturally appeared low when compared to the entire check total, though "If he wants to pay more tax, tell him to vote for a Democrat"...

gotta love the political season.

P.S. She also blamed the Satellite television signal going out, on Hillary. For a brief half an hour the small tele behind the bar was blessedly free of FoxNews.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Sounds like a good rule. I was fearing it would relate to not riding under 40deg which I think applies to many of my friends.

Standing at low cadence is a very good way to protect your knees since you'll be riding like a SSer even if you have a few gears at your disposal.

Meredith said...

While temperature was a good guess - did you really think that was something D would discourage??? Quite the opposite... and I can't imagine what's wrong with those other friends of yours!!!