Friday, February 1, 2008

Like a Rattlesnake.

The most surprising thing from recording everything I consume this past week, is about fluid intake.

I was talking to D and he equated me to a Rattlesnake. Apparently Rattlesnakes don't drink water - they get all their fluids from the prey they consume.

I drink maybe two classes of water a day. Days I really work out - I might get in three. And except for about half a glass of soda on the nights when I serve, and maybe a beer or glass of wine ever other weekend - water is all I drink. I always knew I didn't take in a lot of fluids - but figured it all added up to more than I realized - except it actually adds up to less than I realized.

Two days ago I had a particularly momentous gym experience - not only did I finally get over 5 miles in 30 minutes on the elliptical (I can't use treadmills, all the up and down jostling makes my stomach hurt)... I also drank Almost all the water in my water bottle in the hour and a half I was there (which never happens). I use a bike bottle at the gym - so that amounts to like... 12 ounces of water!!! And I felt fine!!!


I've always had issues drinking water. I really have to remind myself to drink when I do any physical activity. I drink way less water than D (even when doing long, hot canyoneering routes)... and usually drinking water while really active will give me a stomach ache, as I end up with a lot of water and nothing else sloshing around my stomach...

this is something I obviously need to change - so I make a real point to drink water now when I'm working out... try to get my system used to processing water while also moving. Tomorrow D's doing a Rim Cubed at the Grand Canyon - and I'm hopefully going to ride from the South Rim Village, out to Hermit's Rest (the west end of the road that follows the South Rim), back through the village and out to the Watchtower (the east end of said road) then return to the village to sit in the El Tovar Lounge reading Vanity Fair and eating a plate of the best nachos around - till D stumbles back in (depending on if he's late... that might be another opportunity to have a drink that isn't Water...).

At this point - I'd like to do an aside about the great Nachos - and the deliciously thick yet crisp chips they have at the El Tovar Lounge and nowhere else... but I'll refrain.

Point being - this will be a long ride (around 75 miles)... and I'm going to be pushing myself to drink as much water as I can... and testing a few other food strategies... and clothing strategies... (temps being 20-36 degrees, cloudy and with a slight chance of snow... nothing to the crazy snow bikers out there - but good enough for TransIowa Training). So I'll be keeping track of the maximum quantity of water I can drink in so much time before my stomach cries foul.

Ya know - if I can keep my water from freezing...


details.

1 comment:

FixieDave said...

put your water bottles upside down to help keep them drinkable. I have a hard time drinking as well but man it sure helps. Doing white rim in a day last year I only drank 120 oz in 12 hrs and was fine till we got to Moab had to have the car pull over so I could flop out and flop around like a fish cause I was cramping so bad!