Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Adding it all up.

A short while ago Adam, in Utah, decided to start tracking his Calories via The Daily Plate (.com). He's being a brave one by posting his weight, so we can all watch and heckle him as he tries to lose some. He is a brave man.

Now - I'm not trying to lose weight (do I admit, I may in fact be trying to gain some... at least I wouldn't mind a bit more muscle and I hear weight comes along with that)- and I'm really not going to tell any of you how much I weigh... cause, I don't know. However - I've long wondered exactly what my daily caloric intake is - I think I eat plenty of food, as I'm never hungry - others maintain I eat something similar to the diet of a hamster. I've attempted to keep track of everything I eat before... but when you always have to track down the boxes, write out the calories, estimate or track down numbers when you go out to eat - to create a hard copy list - it just doesn't get done for very long. So - when Adam pointed out this great, fun little internet accessory I realized it was time to get serious.

Now - let me be clean - I'm not dieting. No one out there needs to freak out that I'm paying an un-healthy amount of attention to my weight (that's directed at you, mother). We don't even own a scale (and have no intention of getting one).

However - I'm a really unhealthy eater. D is constantly furious at me for my diet. I have a horrendous sweet tooth, am pretty sure Fried is the food group at the base of my pyramid, and consider Ice Cream my primary strategy for calcium intake. So I'm hoping increased awareness will lead to better choices.


There's also the small matter than even though I eat horribly - that doesn't mean my body likes it, or really, can handle it. On my mother's side of the family is a genetic history of difficulty with fat digestion... something to do with the pancreas (is that right - mother???) I've never totally understood the whole story, except I can get really horrible stomach aches (intestinal aches... who really knows which part is unhappy) when I eat too much of the wrong foods too quickly, and can only presume that's why I've grown into this minimalist diet. (This is the primary reason why I've tried to track my eating before - to document associations between what I eat and how I feel - but as I've said it's only worked for so long before I stop keeping as strict of track and everything falls apart, though these attempts have subtly shaped my eating).


All this increased awareness will hopefully, eventually lead to a strong and realistic nutritional strategy for TransIowa - but I'll get into that later, as the heating repairman has arrived (yes - after the car was out of operation for almost two weeks and our internet connection went on vacation the last two days - this morning our heater wasn't working... can't tell you how interested I am to wake up and find out what little thing is going wrong tomorrow.... especially cause D's getting a colonoscopy!!!)

Yea!!!

p.s. That's why I was posting photos of food last night... just to be mean - as he can't eat anything solid today!!! (Joking - it was an accident - I wouldn't have done it if I'd remembered)

2 comments:

Enel said...

But what we really want to know is:

What happened with the fuel injector?

Meredith said...

Josey appears fine... I'm with holding full judgment till two days pass - as there was a slight delay before we knew things were not all well, when we picked up her up before.