Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Again.

In a stunning feat of brilliance - I have broken my glasses for a third time, in not as many years of ownership.

The first time, was less than six months after getting them, my first ever pair of glasses - I slipped on icy cobbles while descending a canyon in February (almost exactly two years ago), and face planted the side of my glasses (and the attached head) into a large rock. Luckily I was fine, I even had a cool scar for awhile, where the broken edge of my glasses made a cut from the edge of my eye down over my cheek bone.

The second time was about two weeks later - after I hadn't done a very good job with the super glue, and I turned around in the cramped servers' area of the restaurant I worked at in St. George and ran the side of my face into the shoulder of my very tall coworker. While that wasn't quite as glamorous, everyone noticed that I wasn't wearing my glasses and gave said coworker a really hard time for "Making me blind". (He felt really really bad, until I explained that they'd already broken before, and I'd just need to re-super glue them...)

So - what great and hilarious story do I have to tell this time???


I sat on them.

They re-broke at the Super Glue Point - which is just a break in the front, plastic part of the glasses - and doesn't harm the metal pivot point or metal sides. So I'll just re-glue the plastic to the plastic and they'll be good as new, you can't even notice.

However - this time I also bent the pivot point on the other side, like 25 degrees from normal - which I somehow managed to bend back into place... though they don't pivot Quite as smoothly as they used to...


Now - I've been toying with the idea of prescription sunglasses for awhile now... I don't really ever wear sunglass - but I have glasses to help me see details at distances, which, more often than not, means outside - when I should be protecting my eyes anyway... so it makes sense. And I've decided to use today's exploits as an excuse to bump Prescription Sunglasses to the top of my Personal Acquisitions List. Yes - yes I think so.

No comments: