Tuesday, January 22, 2008

WooHoo!!!

Word from the dealer is - no leaking head gaskets!!!

See - Josey still loves us!!!


Problem is entirely coolant leaking from under the intake manifold into the #2 cylinder and causing the plug and wire to malfunction. This is great news - though it's still a very big project to pull off the intake manifold - which is why we'll be paying the dealership a ton in labor to get it done. We should have her back on Thursday at the latest.

Secondly - I heard all sorts of bad things about Nissan dealerships from various Nissan and XTerra internet forums while I was doing research - but our dealership service department is just totally wonderful - especially Joshua, the service manager, and the guy I call when dealing with all this. He's been totally helpful and always friendly and doesn't even mind all my questions (and I've made him explain each and every little thing about what's going on). Plus he makes frequent phone calls to keep us informed - and I do love updates!!!

Now granted - there were a few moments the other day when we were talking to him in person, when he kept turning to D and not me... and nothing bothers me more than when I ask someone a question and they deliver the answer to my husband - as if I'm just a woman and what do I know... but he wasn't nearly as egregious as some - so I'm willing to forgive him.

But anyway... woohoo!!!

9 comments:

Chris said...

Pulling the intake manifold on my Galant to replace a $5 gasket was one of the first big car repair jobs I did. It took me 6 hours and I had no idea what I was doing. Luckily my buddy let me use his garage as I had none.

2 years later I could do the same job from memory in 45 minutes on a hot car...ah the memories.

Glad it's not the headgasket!

Meredith said...

Well heck - we could probably fly you from Denver to Phoenix for under $1,300 - which is what's going to the dealer - want to take a vacation???

:)

Enel said...

Great news!

Bummer because you totally could have done that job. Diagnosis is tricky though.

Meredith said...

I may quite as well have been capable of doing it - however, I believe D's piece of mind might be worth the money.

Plus - I'm sort of sick of the car after four days of failed troubleshooting... and there's just too much pressure with it being our primary vehicle.

I'll stick to messing with SelmaLee. Which I really ought to get back to. Though I so appreciate the confidence!!!

Chris said...

You could definitely do the fix but I certainly understand the hesitation being the primary car. That's why we ended up eventually getting a new car after a few years of driving and fixing the old cars. Laying in the snow fixing coolant hoses at midnight got a little old...

Dave said...

Werd.

I likes the '08 Jetta Wagon Diesel.

Enel said...

Forget the Jetta.

Think Sprinter!

http://www.dodge.com/en/2008/sprinter/

Meredith said...

D was raised a liberal minded, social elitist... when he thinks of cars his memories bring back the VW Bus and Rabbit of his childhood...

it's all imports for us.

Enel said...

The beauty is...it is an import. That thing is made by Mercedes with Dodge labeling. You'd never lack for a place to sleep again, anyway.

I know where D is coming from. My very first car was a 1981 VW dasher diesel wagon. Great car for a high school kid. Great mileage, no power, great brakes.