Sunday, January 13, 2008

Camp Lynda Day 2 - Quote (extended conversation) of the Day

I finished up the first loop today - Barrel Roll, and was flying around the side of a hill on zippy trail, into the small parking area. There were two cars, one with two twenty something guys, another with two fourty something men and a woman, all of whom were playing with their bikes and getting ready to head out (I was way behind everyone else, obviously, and by myself).

They all watch as I come in -

Younger Guy- Nice socks.
Me - Thanks - they keep the wind off.
(I pull out cookies and water - two minutes pass)

YG - Are you out here by yourself???
Me - Well, I'm loosely associated with a group that's ahead of me, off... somewhere.
(Pause)
YG - Are they doing the Stucki route??? (pronounced Stewkey)
Me - Yeah - they are.
(Pause)
YG - Do you know where it connects up with this??? Somewhere on the road here???
Me - I don't really know, I'm gonna figure things out on my map in a minute.
YG - Oh.
(I pull my map out and contemplate my options while continuing to eat my cookies - four minutes pass)

YG - So, does your group always leave you... all by yourself???
Me - Uh - no, I'm not doing everything they're doing, that's why I brought a map, so I can make my own way...
it was planned, they didn't just drop me - that's why I'm Loosely Associated with Them.
(Older woman overhears and laughs)

YG - Oh - well... it's good that you, ya know, came out... and... rode anyway... cause, there's not a lot of girls that... well, ride mountain bikes.


(Apparently Not... so here's a question - Does the appearance of an unexpected woman in cycling shorts just automatically make men less articulate???)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

In response to your question, yes.

As a general rule, men are dopes and that's all there is to it. Back when I still lived in AZ I rode a lot w/ Jeff and SuLing and was aleays amazed by the constant string of stupid that would come her direction when we met other groups on the trail.

Ed said...

Most guys are socially inept, especially in front of women (my hand is raised). The ones that aren't, you have to be immediately suspicious of.

:-)

Ed

JenyJo said...

M, in response to your question:

uhm... yes.

ed was the exception tho... of course.

;-)

jj

Meredith said...

Jj - oh course he was!!! That's why I was immediately suspicious of him!!!

Enel said...

Men are just generally inarticulate. Especially mountain bikers.

How's that for sexist generalizations.